Sunday, February 11, 2007

Expanding my horizons.

Ok, I will admit it, I do tend to get into reading ruts. Where I will tend to read the same books over and over again. Same authors and same genres.

So here is the challenge for my friends. You can recommend new and different books for me to read. The rules because every thing has rules. 1. Don't just recommend an author, I would like to have the "ultimate" book, by this person, that you would recommend. 2. Christian fiction is completely out. That is the genre that I have exclusively read for the last year. 3. Science fiction fantasy is limited to authors I haven't read or who are not on my book case. 4. I reserve the right to reject books. If I reject yours I will ask for an alternate. 5. You can recommend non-fiction but I hardly ever read it for enjoyment.

I am trying to expand my reading selections this year. It may happen slowly mostly due to the fact I read for escape not for literary reasons.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2/12/2007 9:56 AM, Blogger Mirtika said...

Well, I have no idea what you have or haven't read, so here are suggestions:

SF:

The Chaos trilogy by John C Wright (smart, exciting, Harry Potter for grown-ups with Greek gods instead of wizards)

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (the stars go dark, and the world can't ever be the same)

Non-Fiction:

The Great Omissions by Dallas Willard

Unexpected Journeys by Janet Kaplan (full of amazing reproductions of Remedios Varo's artwork and text explaining the sometimes puzzling surrealist work). The biography is interesting, too. She was not a Christian, but the parts about the Spanish War and WWII and what artists went through is fascinating. Just an intriguing showcase into the life and mind and work of a truly gifted surrealist WOMAN artist.


Mystery:

Silent Joe by T. Jefferson Parker (a really intriguing protagonist with a tortured soul who must solve a murder case that hits close to home, even as there's a terrific romantic subplot)


That's a good start. :)

Mir

 
At 2/13/2007 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom recommends political intrigue. I would start with Vince Flynn's Term Limits. That is the first in the series of Mitch Rapp books. Then there is David Baldacci's Winner ( I think). I know you dislike historical fiction, but Outlander by Diana Gambaldon is a good story. Don't read the rest of the series though, you will want to throw the books through the window.

 
At 2/25/2007 9:18 AM, Blogger Rural Bound Resident said...

Lee!

I have a great book for you to read! A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith it is historical fiction novel that I LOVE!!! Its about an awesome strong woman. I have others if you like it, but you CANNOT reject it until you read at least a few pages!

 
At 2/25/2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I don't think any Vonnegut lives on your shelves. He lives on mine though.

Cat's Cradle is my favourite.


~H

 
At 3/05/2007 8:01 PM, Blogger Rural Bound Resident said...

I have another one!

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
by: Lauren Willig

Pure fun!! I loved this book and want to read it again
Its historical fiction, kind of, although nothing in the book happened in life, it takes place in england in the past. Does that still count as historical fiction?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home